The Christian Reformed Church held its first
service in Brantford on Sunday, July 24, 1949 in the Alexandra Presbyterian
Church with 35 people in attendance. Two years later, on July 29, 1951 the
church became incorporated and was called First Christian Reformed Church. In
1952, the church grew to 60 families and needed a larger building. Zion United
Church was big enough and became the home of First C.R.C. Also during 1952, the
congregation purchased land on Patterson Ave. Finally, on March 4, 1954, First
Christian Reformed Church dedicated a new church at 17 Patterson Ave.
First Christian Reformed Church was greatly blessed by the Lord and grew
steadily to the point where two morning services were required. These services
were at 9 and 11 a.m. with one evening service at 7:30 p.m. In the fall of 1978,
Council decided to divide the congregation into two congregations to better
minister to its members. In September of 1978, a second congregation was formed
and the members of this new daughter church voted to call themselves the Shalom
Christian Reformed Church.
Shalom held its first
service in the Alexandra Presbyterian Church on Colborne St. on November 5, 1978
(the same place First C.R. Church first worshipped in 1949). Shalom continued to
worship there until the end of August 1979. The purpose of this temporary move
was for each church to establish its own identity. Once separate identities were
firmly established, Shalom moved back to 17 Patterson Ave. Shalom met at 9 a.m.
and 5 p.m., while First met at 11 a.m. and 7:30 p.m.
During the first part of
1988, it was also decided that Shalom and First divide the assets and Shalom
move permanently out of 17 Patterson Ave. On September 18, 1988 Shalom moved to
Park Baptist Church at the corner of George and Darling Streets in downtown
Brantford with the morning service still at 9 a.m. and evening service at 5 p.m.
First Church moved their morning service to 10 a.m. and the evening service to 7
Shalom rented Park Baptist
until an offer was made to move into the Brantford Christian School's brand new
addition which included a large gymnasium. On the first Sunday in June, 1991,
Shalom held its first worship service in the Brantford Christian School.
On November 30, 1992 Shalom
took possession of 5 acres of land on Buchanan Crescent in the North end of
Brantford. This was the result of almost 5 years of searching for a property.
In 1993, negotiations began into the possibility of First and Shalom
reunifying. A Reunification Committee made up of representatives from both
churches was initiated. This committee designed an extensive survey with the
results strongly favouring reunification. On July 10, 1994, the inaugural
service of the new reunified church was held at 17 Patterson Ave. On January 10,
1995, this new church was named HOPE CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
and that's us today!
In April, 1998 we began the construction of a new church building at 64
Buchanan Crescent. On Sunday, December 6, 1998, we held our first service in the
new building. Our Dedication Service occurred on Friday, December 18 followed by
an Open House on Saturday, December 19.